Straightening is a process of permanently re-arranging the basic structure of over curly hair into a straight form. Straight hair can be dressed into any desired style. It is also known as hair relaxing.
Hair straightening products
Two basic products are used in chemical hair relaxing, as below:
- Sodium hydroxide: a chemical hair relaxer and a neutralizer. It is also known as caustic soda.
- Ammonium thioglycolate
Steps for hair straightening
There are three basic steps for straightening the over curly hair:
- Processing: as soon as the chemical relaxer is applied, the hair begins to softens and lose its curl.
- Neutralizing: the chemical relaxer is thoroughly rinsed out with warm water followed by shampoo.
- Conditioning: it gives strength and body to damaged hair and protects it against breaking.
What is the procedure for hair straightening?
The procedure for hair straightening is as under:
- Part hair into five sections e.g. Left nape, right nape, right temple front, crown top and left temple front.
- Use cold dryer for few minutes to remove moisture on the scalp.
- Use petroleum base to protect scalp from chemicals.
- Cover hair-line around the forehead, nape of the neck and area over and around the ears completely.
- Apply conditioner to the hair before applying the relaxer from hair root to hair ends with fingers. Now apply relaxer ½” over the scalp. It should not touch the scalp and skin all around.
- Stretch the strands to see the curls are being removed. Remove relaxer from the area. Then rinse out thoroughly with warm water.
- Ensure relaxer and rinsed water are away from eyes and the skin.
- Now shampoo the hair and use a stabiliser.
Spread your Buzz here..
What others have contributed to this page?
Use the form below.